a. Class schedule posted on KYLSC.ORG Officials page
i. Application for Official’s Certification
1. Complete and return to instructor
ii. USA Swimming Non-athlete Registration Application
1. Complete and return to your coach/rep who will mail to USA swimming with registration fee
iii. Complete a mandatory background check. (Can be completed at any time.)
1. See Background Check Procedures on Officials Page, KYLSC website
2. Note - 50% reimbursement upon certification iv. Complete the mandatory USA Swimming Athlete Protection Training course (Can only be completed after an official has become a USA Swimming member.)
1. See Athlete Protection Training Procedures on Officials Page, KYLSC website
d. USA Swimming Instruction Video
New Official USA/KY Swimming Membership Process
Mail the KY Swimming office the USA/KY Swimming membership application form along with the current application fee. (Either the individual or the club registrar will mail the application and check to the KYLSC office.)
KY Swimming will enter official’s information into the USA Swimming database. Background Screenings (BGC) can be completed without a USAS ID#. If a BGC has been completed, it will automatically match to the new membership record.
KY Swimming will email the new member instructions on how to complete the Athlete Protection Training course. The official will know their membership application has been processed when he/she receives an email from KY Swimming.
The official will complete the APT, notify KY Swimming that it’s been done, The KYLSC office will check the record, print the USA Swimming membership card and mail it to the new official.
II. Take Stroke and Turn/Timer Test
a. Take on-line at usaswimming.org (download Rules and Regulations pdf located on the About tab)
- go to usaswimming.org; Set up an account and log-in
- select MEMBER RESOURCES from the menu at top of page, then select OFFICIALS
- from the Official's page, select TESTING & CERTIFICATION from the menu on left
- select ONLINE OFFICIALS TEST from menu on left
- follow instructions to sign in; download Timing Judge Test Chart
- select the STROKE & TURN/TIMER.
III. Apprentice 4 Sessions a. Inform Meet Referee of your intention to apprentice or officiate, contact info found in the meet information
a. Attend stroke briefing 30 minutes prior to each session – SIGN IN
b. MUST have Apprentice Verification Form filled out for each session
c. Apprentice with various ages/levels of swimmers
Philosophy Purpose Create fair competition environment Swimmer gets benefit of doubt Only call what you see Conduct on deck Attire, credentials Preparation Officials briefing Parents, coaches Sign in sheets, signed card How to signal a disqualification Raise hand in timely manner State jurisdiction What did you see? What is the rule? Ask questions/backup
Strokes Video Pause after each stroke for review and questions
Close Quick summary of what was covered Collect info sheets and sign-in sheet Confirm USA non-athlete forms